Problems swallowing can harm a person’s qualify of life and make it difficult for them to receive adequate nutrition. Problems swallowing, otherwise known as dysphagia, occur for a number of reasons, such as cancer or the existence of scar tissue in the esophagus, and these issues can exhibit themselves in a number of ways. Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms of dysphagia:
- Having pain while swallowing, otherwise known as odynophagia
- Being unable to swallow
- The sensation of food getting stuck in the throat or in the sternum
- Frequent heartburn and bringing food back up after swallowing
- Unexpectedly losing weight
- Coughing when swallowing
- Being constantly hoarse and having food or stomach acid come back up into the throat
- Having to cut food up into tiny pieces or avoiding certain foods altogether because of problems swallowing
If you have problems swallowing, you should see your medical provider if you regularly have a hard time swallowing and if you are losing weight for no other explainable reason.
If your medical provider orders a modified barium swallow test to diagnose dysphagia, our team can come directly to the care facility you are staying at to perform the test. Our medical mobile van offers patients the convenience of having the testing process for swallowing disorders brought straight to them. If you want to know more about our unique process and compassion for helping others, please contact us today!