For most people, swallowing is as common a task as breathing—you don’t even have to think about it. However, for those who suffer from a swallowing disorder, or dysphagia, eating and drinking become daily challenges. Here at TwinCity Medical Mobile, we provide medical mobile services throughout North Carolina, including Modified Barium Swallow Tests on those who struggle with dysphagia. Here are some signs you could benefit from our medical mobile services:
- You feel a lump in your throat whenever you try to eat or drink.
- After eating or drinking, you feel hoarse and need to cough.
- There is pain or tightness in your chest or throat.
- Bits of food get caught in your throat as you eat, causing you to choke.
- Drooling often occurs while eating or drinking.
While you may feel like you do not need medical mobile services to diagnose a swallowing disorder right away, you should contact your healthcare provide if:
- You are losing weight or having a hard time drinking and eating.
- A swallowing issue causes you to have trouble eating, choke, or cough on a consistent basis.
- The problem doesn’t clear up quickly.
How your swallowing disorder is treated depends on its cause. For example, if your dysphagia stems from GERD, taking antacids regularly may help clear up the problem. If, for instance, your problems swallowing happen because of nervous system damage, you may need the assistance of an occupational or speech therapist to learn to swallow again.
If you have any questions about swallowing disorders and our medical mobile services, please do not hesitate to contact us at TwinCity Medical Mobile.